3 Realistic Online Business Opportunities I Personally Use
If you’re anything like me you’re feeling trapped by the restrictions of your chosen career. A year ago I decided it was time to reclaim my life and my future and begin working toward building a business that would give back my time, bring fulfillment and financial freedom.
The idea of working from home or even while traveling sounded like a dream to me; and if it sounds like something you’d prefer over your current work-life balance then read on. I’ve listed 3 legitimate online business opportunities that have been profitable for me and might just turn out to be a great place for you to start too!
Are you figuring out how to start a business of your own and what type of online business opportunities you’re most suited to? I bet it didn’t take long to figure out that there are literally 1000’s of get-rich-quick schemes instead of legitimate online business opportunities advertised online.
So by now you realize that starting an online business isn’t going to be as easy as you first thought. But the good news is that it IS well worth persevering when you find one that’s right for you!
Let’s take a closer look at 3 REALISTIC online business opportunities and see if I can help you to reach a light bulb moment!
Online Business #1 – Freelancing
Do you have great organizational and task management skills? Why not stack the odds in your favor by playing to your strengths? There is a whole range of tasks you can do that both individuals and businesses need to outsource regularly. As far as online business opportunities go this is akin to virtual subcontracting.
Wikipedia’s definition; A freelancer or freelance worker is a term commonly used for a person who is self-employed and is not necessarily committed to a particular employer long-term.
Brainstorm Your Strengths:
Why not put fingers to keyboard and start making a list of the things you currently do for yourself and your loved ones that you have a special talent for or just love doing?
Research The Market:
Use Google to find out if there is a need for the strengths and services you came up with.
No additional skills required, focused on your existing strengths and interests, pick and choose the jobs to bid for or accept, Freelancer & Airtasker bring your clients to you.
The income per task is be limited to what the taskmaster is willing to pay. Also, you will be bidding for tasks in a highly competitive environment. Freelancer & Airtasker will both take a percentage of your hard-earned cash.
It’s difficult to establish long-term clients in this environment so be mindful that you will always be playing the bidding game. It’s worth keeping in mind that the person who posted the task has the power to withhold payment and leave negative feedback if they’re not 100% satisfied with the quality of your work.
Online Business #2 Affiliate Marketer
Easily the most accessible online business opportunity for anyone to get up and running quickly. The possibilities are only limited by your imagination. One of the simplest examples of Affiliate Marketing is blogging read my blogging article here. Bloggers write posts about topics they’re either interested in or knowledgeable about.
However, blogging is NOT the only way to build an Affiliate Marketing business. Grab our Free On-Demand Video Workshop to learn more about setting up an Affiliate Marketing business with minimal fuss and a tonne of expert advice that will save you time and money setting up this kind of business.
Wikipedia’s definition: Affiliate marketing is a type of performance-based marketing in which a business rewards one or more affiliates for each visitor or customer brought by the affiliate’s own marketing efforts.
Choose 2-3 Affiliate Programs
- I recommend starting with only 2-3 affiliate programs, to begin with. Joining too many when you’re just getting started can mean spreading your resources too thin.
- At least one of the affiliate programs you choose will need to pay high affiliate commissions (preferably over $1000 per sale) learn about the high paying affiliate program I chose here.
- The other two affiliate programs will need to complement the primary affiliate program in some way.
Start Building A Subscriber List:
- Altho you don’t need your own email list to start marketing affiliate products and services, it sure does make life easier and a lot more lucrative.
- Learn more about setting up an autoresponder account here and get a start building your own subscriber list!
- This is something you can choose to do yourself if you love writing or recording videos, or you can easily outsource this for a minimal fee.
- Blogging is a great way to reach and connect with people who share an interest in what you have to say and the products and services you’re interested in and blog about. More about blogging for profit here.
- Make sure your posts bridge the gap between your chosen affiliate products and services and the people who want them. Blogging is also one of the most cost-effective ways of growing your subscriber list.
- You will need a way to collect your subscribers when they visit your blog or website as well as connect and build a relationship with your subscribers regularly.
- Fortunately, you do both with AWeber and they are offering a FREE 30 Day Trial for new members. For more in-depth information about email autoresponders make sure you check out my post on email marketing which includes video demos.
There are lots of Affiliate Programs available for free when searching for complimentary affiliate programs. However, ones offering high commissions will usually come with a small affiliate membership fee. More about choosing the right affiliate partner here.
It’s a great way to build a business around your existing knowledge base, strengths, and interests. No need for a business idea of your own. No time and money wasted on purchasing stock, testing products in the marketplace. No need to have an e-commerce website of your own. Once established, this kind of business will bring time and financial freedom.
A willingness to invest time in learning effective affiliate marketing practices.
Online Business #3 E-commerce – Amazon/eBay/Shopify
Building an e-commerce business can take quite a bit of work to get started but once set up, it will practically run itself. It’s a good idea to start with just one or two products to test in the market before jumping in boots n all! I suggest focusing on just one of the major seller platforms while you’re getting started, get to know it and how to leverage all the features before branching out to others.
Amazon has a brilliant new-seller support team, they are happy to jump on the phone and walk you through any issues you may be facing. If you’re looking for a business you can scale over time you can take your income levels to 6 figures and higher by selling on other platforms and creating your own retail websites. The point is, the sky’s the limit!
Wikipedia’s definition: Modern electronic commerce typically uses the internet for at least one part of the transaction’s life cycle although it may also use other technologies such as e-mail. Typical e-commerce transactions include the purchase of online books (such as Amazon) and music purchases (music download in the form of digital distribution such as iTunes Store).
Source or Develop A Product:
- Perhaps you have your own product you’d like to develop and take to market? Or maybe you’d like to try importing a product that’s already proven in the marketplace?
- An easy place to get started sourcing products to sell on Amazon or eBay is DHgate, however, not all sellers on DHgate are trustworthy so make sure you read the reviews.
- But if you’re really interested in learning about how to get started with Amazon FBA, importing products from trustworthy sources and even how to source your own custom branded products I can’t recommend this Free Workshop highly enough as a great introduction to how it all works.
Import Your Product:
- This is where things can get a little tricky in the early days if you’re new to the importing game. Navigating all the legalities of customs and import fees, logistics and distribution can be a little overwhelming and it pays to get the right information and have good relationships with the factories you are importing from before you start ordering large quantities.
- I suggest reading this before diving in head first, particularly if you are new to the importing game.
Getting started with one or two products can be an inexpensive way to get a legitimate and profitable e-commerce business off the ground reasonably quickly. You’ll be looking at the cost of importing your products and whatever fee’s and charges are incurred with selling them on Amazon, eBay or whatever seller platform you choose.
If you haven’t checked out our Free On-Demand Video Workshop yet make sure to watch our short video for expert tips on the safest way to getting yourself set up importing with minimal fuss and how to set up shop leveraging Amazon FDA.
As far as online business opportunities go; an e-commerce business can be up and running in a matter of weeks. No limit to the variety of products you can sell. No limit to the size of the market you can sell to. Easily scalable. Once established, this kind of business will bring time and financial freedom.
Upfront cash investment to purchase and import your chosen product. You will need to do product and market research. You will need a willingness to spend time learning how to import products safely and how to market them online.
So with all that said here’s your chance to start a legitimate online business. Is it your time to get off the sidelines and create the ultimate financial and lifestyle freedom for yourself?
By now, you have 3 genuine online business opportunities that have been proven to work over and over again. Be sure to report back and let me know how you’re going!
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. I will only make recommendations on products and services I personally believe to be of value.